Home > News > Nation
Sunday December 29, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday December 29, 2013 MYT 7:42:15 AM
by r.s.n. murali
MALACCA: A belated Christmas party for a family at the Portuguese Settlement in Ujong Pasir here was cut short when a fire ravaged two wooden houses and a grocery shop in the area.
The family, who was hosting a Christmas open-house, had to yell at their guests to leave their home when the blaze from a neighbour’s house heightened just as dinner was being served at 9pm on Friday.
Fabian Vellu, 25, said about 20 guests were dining at his in-law’s house.
“I heard the noise of glass shattering when I went out from my house to check the source of the fire.
“I was startled to see that a neighbour’s empty house was ablaze.
“I dashed back into the house and yelled: ‘All out, there is a fire!’ Then, everyone ran helter-skelter,” he said.
He said the fire spread to the house but luckily, the guests escaped just in time.
“My family was really upset as our celebration was ruined. However, we thank God that no injuries occurred.
“We accept the incident as fate and will rebuild our destroyed house,” he said.
Malacca Fire and Rescue Department operation officer Kamarulzaman Mohd Din said the firefighters arrived at 9.34pm, 21 minutes after they received a distress call.
They managed to douse the fire in 15 minutes.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts & Crime, Ujong Pasir, fire
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)