Home > News > Nation
Saturday December 21, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday December 21, 2013 MYT 6:40:50 AM
KUALA LUMPUR: All Malaysian employees of Petronas in South Sudan are safe and accounted for.
Petronas said in a statement here yesterday that the employees had been advised to take necessary precautions, including adhering to the curfew imposed by the South Sudanese government.
Petronas, it said, was also closely monitoring the situation and taking necessary measures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the workers.
“However, Petronas is saddened to learn that a number of Sudanese oil field workers employed by two joint operating companies in South Sudan, in which Petronas has interests, have suffered fatalities and injuries,” it said.
The respective managements of these two companies had begun systematic evacuation of the remaining employees from the fields, it added.
Up to 500 people had been reported killed since Sunday in clashes between military factions in South Sudan, which has been described as the world’s newest country. — Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Health, petronas, sudan
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)