X Close

Nation

Published: Tuesday December 17, 2013 MYT 11:31:00 AM
Updated: Tuesday December 17, 2013 MYT 12:02:26 PM

Malaysian forces take up position to thwart any attack on Sabah

KOTA KINABALU: All entry flanks are on guard as Malaysian security forces take up position with various measures to thwart any security threat along the east coast of Sabah. 

Eastern Sabah Security Command Director Datuk Mohammad Mentek said on Tuesday that among the various measures taken included the deployment of quick response elite units at  strategic locations to intercept any suspicious vessels.

However, he said there was no intelligence report of any threat by Abu Sayyaf groups or independent militant groups of the Moro National Liberation Front  (MNLF) contrary to claims of an impending attacks planned at various places in the east coast.
 
Mantek said the  Maritime Enforcement Agency, the army and the police were also on high alert for any suspicious activities in the border waters between Sabah and the southern Philippines.

He also warned that the security forces were going all out to arrest traitors or anyone who wanted to threaten the nation’s security in any way.
 
“We will use the full force of the law against them. There will be no compromises on this,” he added.
 
On Monday, Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said national security forces have received orders to intensify their readiness against potential attacks by terrorists in three areas in the east coast of Sabah.

He said this after being asked by reporters in Kuala Lumpur to comment on reports of an imminent attack by militant groups on Pulau Selingan in Sandakan, Pulau Langkayan in Beluran and Sukau Resort in Kinabatangan.

Other areas of potential attack include Kudat, Sandakan, Kunak, Tawau and Lahad Datu.

According to reports, either the Abu Sayyaf terror group or a breakaway MNLF faction of Nur Misuari was planning to carry out attacks or kidnap for ransom.

The reports on Saturday claimed that about 30 armed men had left Talipao village in Jolo island of southern Philippines and were to heading towards Sabah waters.

Their whereabouts were still unconfirmed but the reports claimed that one of the group leaders was identified Indang Susukan believed to have been involved in last month's murder and kidnapping of a Taiwanese couple in Pom-Pom Island of Semporna.

The reports claimed the attacks along the Sabah east coast could happen anytime before Christmas.

Tags / Keywords: Sabah, Esscom, Sulu

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement