Home > News > Nation
Tuesday December 17, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday December 17, 2013 MYT 7:30:15 AM
by nicholas cheng
PETALING JAYA: Eleven youths are expected to be charged today at the Kuala Kubu Baru magistrate’s court for digging up five coffins in a Chinese cemetery to steal valuables.
Hulu Selangor deputy OCPD Supt Zulkifli Bedin said police had arrested the youths since Dec 6 following a report lodged by a lorry driver, who discovered that his mother’s grave at the Rasa Chinese Cemetery had been dug up during a visit.
The youths, aged between 14 and 20, were arrested at separate raids in Taman Desa Rening and Kuala Kubu Baru before being released on bail, he said.
“From our interrogation, these youths have read postings online that the Chinese would bury valuables like necklaces, rings or money with their dead, which, I have been told, isn’t true.
“But they believed the postings and went to the cemetery, which is near their village, and dug out the coffins and broke into them. However, they claimed that they did not find anything,” said Supt Zulkifli.
The case, he said, was being investigated under Section 297 of the Penal Code for treating remains with indignity, adding that it had been forwarded to the deputy Public Prosecutors.
Some of the them would be charged today while others might be used as witnesses, said Supt Zulkifli.
Lorry driver Yong Yoke Khoon, 51, who lodged the report on Nov 30, said he had found his mother’s coffin smashed open and her clothes torn up.
“The grave next to her was also dug out. I saw quite a lot of this around the cemetery. I was very mad. I wanted to find and teach whoever did this a lesson. How can they come in and disturb people’s resting place?” said Yong.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts & Crime, Grave, Hulu Selangor
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)