Home > News > Nation
Tuesday December 10, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday December 10, 2013 MYT 9:50:11 AM
Hard at work: Army personnel replacing the half-collapsed Sungai Limbong bridge in Kemaman with a new tactical bridge.
KOTA BARU: All flood evacuees in Kelantan have returned home, while the situation is improving in Pahang and Johor.
However, the situation remained unchanged in Terengganu with the number of flood victims staying at flood relief centres still at 22,617, reported Bernama.
Kemaman was the worst affected district followed by Dungun, Kuala Terengganu and Marang.
All of the flood relief centres
in Kelantan were closed after the remaining 99 victims returned home.
In Pahang, the number of flood victims at relief centres dropped from 35,502 on Sunday night to 33,952 as of 9am yesterday, said a Pahang state police spokesman.
The victims were located in Pekan, Temerloh, Maran, Jerantut, Bera, Raub, Lipis and Rompin.
A number of main roads remained closed to traffic, especially KM14 Jalan Temerloh-Bahau, KM18 Jalan Triang-Temerloh and Jalan Jerantut-Kuala Lipis (Kampung Sepial).
RapidKuantan resumed its bus service yesterday in Kuantan after suspending it last Tuesday because of the floods.
Chief operating officer Zainurul Hakim Mohamad said that the
service resumed at 6am on all 13 routes except for Route 401, which will end at the Cherok Palok Mosque.
“The service to Sungai Lembing has yet to resume because stretches of road are still flooded,” he told Bernama.
In Johor, only 592 evacuees remained at nine centres in Segamat, Pontian and Batu Pahat.
Johor Welfare Department director Khatijah Abdullah said that the majority of the victims had returned to their homes to clean up the
damages caused by the recent floods.
She added that volunteers from the department would provide assistance to those who were in dire need of help to clean up their homes.
The volunteers would focus their efforts on aiding the old folks who lived alone and other welfare homes, especially in Batu Pahat and Segamat, she said.
“The department will also evaluate the damages at the affected homes before handing out financial aid to the victims.
”We will only be giving out a certain percentage from the total losses of each home to lessen the burdens of the victims,” said Khatijah.
Tags / Keywords:
State govt starts major mitigation projects after losing RM300mil last year
Typhoon Goni threatens Japan after killing 26 in Philippines
Myanmar farmers seek aid after floods
Sleepless and swamped in Myanmar
City drivers endure traffic jams after heavy rain
Health Ministry wants all water vending machines licensed by Jan 1
Former soldier’s love for Penang
Kota Baru river shellfish contaminated
Haze advisory issued to schools in Penang
Book answers claims over 1MDB issues
TalentCorp turns Malaysia’s brain drain to brain gain
Cilic into U.S. Open third round; Fish takes final bow
Various vendors to treat recyclables
For rest and relaxation
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)