Home > News > Nation
Wednesday December 4, 2013 MYT 2:23:00 PM
Wednesday December 4, 2013 MYT 2:46:47 PM
by ong han sean
KUANTAN: The rain in Pahang has not let up, worsening the flood situation in five districts.
According to the state disaster operations room, the number of evacuees in Pekan, Maran, Rompin, Kuantan and Jerantut now numbered 11,721 as at 8am.
Kuantan was hit the worst with 4,148 victims, followed by Rompin (3,615), Pekan (2,716), Maran (1,179) and Jerantut (63).
Along with the major floods and non-stop rain, Kuantan folks were also now toughing out the disaster without electricity.
A post from an administrator on Tenaga Nasional Bhd's (TNB) Facebook page stated that the blackout was due to rising water level at all its substations.
It also said the situation was quite serious and the water level had not subsided yet but the supply would be restored once the flood water receded.
"If the water reaches a dangerous level, TNB will shut down the electric supply to substations, assemblies and wires in the affected area temporarily to ensure the safety of the public," TNB said.
Seven roads in the district had been closed to all vehicles, according to the state police.
These are KM28 of Jalan Sg Lembing-Sg Charu, Jalan Sg Ular flyover to Kuantan, Jalan Permatang Badak to Kuantan (Tanah Putih), Jalan Kuantan bypass-Kuantan Port, Jalan Kuantan-Bukit Sagu, KM8 of Jalan Kuantan-Beserah (collapsed bridge) and KM16 of Jalan Kg. Riau.
Meanwhile, a Pengurusan Air Pahang Bhd (PAIP) spokesman rubbished rumours that water was going to be released from the so-called "Kobat Dam" and severely affect Bukit Setongkol, Permatang Badak and Sungai Isap.
There is no dam at Sungai Kobat, the company said, but only a raw water pump house and a barrage gate that stopped salt water from entering the pump house's headworks.
Tags / Keywords:
Environment, floods, Kuantan, blackout
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)