Home > News > Nation
Tuesday December 3, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday December 3, 2013 MYT 7:13:34 AM
SUNGAI PETANI: The candi at site number 11 in Lembah Bujang can be reconstructed if there are pictures and drawing plans.
USM Centre for Global Archaeological Research (CGAR) director Prof Dr Mokhtar Saidin said the National Heritage Department could have the plans.
“As long as we have the plans, we can reconstruct it,” he said yesterday.
“If the structure was built with laterite, we will use laterite. If there are sides of the candi that used pebbles, we will use pebbles,” he said.
He added that the laterite and pebbles could be sourced from Lembah Bujang.
Dr Mokhtar was commenting on the candi located on a 36ha land that was demolished for a mixed development project.
“As an archaeologist, I am very saddened by the incident,” he said. “Maybe the National Heritage Department has plans on how to solve the problem.”
An officer at the Lembah Bujang Archaeological Museum said the conservation and preservation of the historical site had been the responsibility of the department since 2005.
“However, the artefacts are the responsibility of the Department of Museums Malaysia,” he added. “Four other such temples within the vicinity of the Lembah Bujang Archaeological Museum are under our responsibility.”
Farmer A. Robert, 40, from Kampung Sungai Batu, made a police report on Sunday, wanting the developer to reconstruct the demolished candi.
Tags / Keywords:
Family & Community, lembah bujang
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)