Home > News > Nation
Sunday November 17, 2013 MYT 2:08:00 PM
Sunday November 17, 2013 MYT 2:50:56 PM
BANGKOK: Major telecommunication providers are working together to provide a way for Malaysians to help the victims of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
Communications and Multimedia Minister, Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek (pic) said the service, which allows donations through SMS, would be launched soon as a joint effort with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission.
"Many of us want to help, but do not know how and now, there is a simple way to do so.
"I urge Malaysians to take advantage of this service to offer assistance and send relief to the people of the Philippines who are affected by this terrible tragedy," he said in a statement on Sunday.
Ahmad Shabery is in Bangkok for the International Telecomunications Union Meeting until Wednesday.
Super typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines last week, affecting an estimated nine million people. More than one million people were displaced by the strongest typhoon to ravage the country in decades.
The official death toll climbed to more than 3,600 on Friday. – Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Communications and Multimedia Minister, Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Typhoon Haiyan, Philippines
Umno to give RM40mil in items to 50,000 families
MH370: Australia to continue search with Malaysia, China
Lexus launches compact crossover SUV series
Government loses suit to Bersih over property damage
Dynamic and Stylish BMW X1
Healthy living in the heart of Ampang
AWS move, disclosure suggest Amazon yielding more to Wall Street
Call to hold badminton meets for Indians
Finally! ‘The Lego Movie’ and 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' win awards
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)