Home > News > Nation
Monday November 4, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday November 4, 2013 MYT 7:02:21 AM
KLANG: Pulau Ketam headman Cha Keng Lee said the fishermen did not go to sea because the enforcement teams were on their rounds and they are sitting the situation out until a solution can be found.
According to Cha, a former fisherman himself, those who risk going out could have their licences cancelled if caught violating the rules.
Fisherman Chew Beng Hock, 48, lamented that he would be broke if he does not go out to sea soon.
“The restrictions affect my livelihood, but if I get caught and lose my licence, I would have bigger problems,” said Chew, whose trawler is docked at the Pulau Ketam jetty.
Meanwhile, Kapar MCA division chief Datuk Song Kee Chai said a memorandum had been handed over to MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek last month outlining Pulau Ketam fishermen’s concerns.
“We believe the memorandum has already been forwarded to the Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, but we’ve had no response so far,” he added.
Trawlers nationwide have not been going to sea since Friday since the implementation of the policy.
In Pantai Remis, Perak, some 300 fishermen staged a protest in the town’s jetty yesterday.
Ong Hock Aun, 48, said they had no choice.
“We want the Government to understand that the new ruling would reduce our productivity and affect our income,” said Ong.
Traders fret over fishermen strike
Minister New mesh size to protect dwindling stock
Govt and trawler men urged to resolve differences
Tags / Keywords:
Environment, fishermen strike
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)