Home > News > Nation
Monday October 28, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday October 28, 2013 MYT 7:27:56 AM
CAMERON HIGHLANDS: The search for an Indonesian woman believed to have been swept away during a flash flood in Bertam Valley here continued into its fifth day yesterday.
Cameron Highlands OCPD DSP Wan Mohd Zahari Wan Busu said the operation continued with 69 officers and members of the security forces.
The operation, which began at 8am, did not use K-9 tracker dogs and scuba divers from the Fire and Rescue Department, but instead, was carried out manually by using heavy machinery.
DSP Mohd Zahari told reporters that large-scale search operations would cease by today. “Small-scale search operations will continue as normal then onwards,” he added.
About 1am on Wednesday, mud flood struck Bertam Valley when water from the Sultan Abu Bakar Dam was released, resulting in the death of three people. One was reported missing and another injured with 80 houses and about 100 vehicles damaged or destroyed.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, when tabling Budget 2014 last Friday, had announced an allocation of RM40mil to widen and deepen Sungai Bertam.
Meanwhile, Pahang Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) director Datuk Zulkefli Hassan clarified that RM100,000 had been approved by the Federal Government to clean up Sungai Bertam.
The Star mistakenly reported yesterday that RM100mil had been allocated for the process.
DSP Zulkefli stressed that the allocation was made possible through the efforts of Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri G. Palanivel.
Tags / Keywords:
Environment, drainage, irrigation, pahang, bertam valley
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)