Home > News > Nation
Friday October 25, 2013 MYT 3:29:00 PM
Friday October 25, 2013 MYT 9:37:38 PM
by michelle tam
PETALING JAYA: Budget 2014 will be tabled in Parliament at 4pm Friday. While much has been said about it, the first since the recent general elections, here are some facts about the national budget.
1) The very first Budget speech was delivered on Dec 4, 1955 by then-Malaya's father of independence, Tunku Abdul Rahman and the country's first Prime Minister.
Education was stressed upon in that inaugural budget. Tunku wrote in his As I See It column with The Star, titled "Life before and after Merdeka": "Government has decided to establish a number of residential schools to absorb a number of education-starved boys and give them five years' secondary education. The Government is also doing all it can to assist in the legitimate expansion of the Chinese and Tamil schools, and granting aid to these schools by providing in the estimates of 1956." (Oct 15, 1984)
2) Including Budget 2014, a total of 56 Budgets have been tabled in Parliament since Independence.
3) The previous Budget was tabled in Parliament on Sept 28, 2012.
4) Budget 2014 will be Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's sixth tabling of the Government budget since holding office of the Finance Minister in 2008.
5) The first Alternative National Budget was launched on Sept 5, 2007 for the year 2008 by the DAP. As for the Opposition coalition Pakatan Rakyat, its first Shadow Budget was on Oct 4, 2011.
6) Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad ended his 22-year-old tenure with a bang by delivering a three-hour budget speech in Parliament on Sept 12, 2003. It was reportedly the longest budget address in the august house's then 44-year-old history.
7) The biggest - Budget 2013 tops the list with a total allocation of RM251.6bil ringgit for "the implementation of development projects, programmes and measures, with focus on the well-being of the rakyat and national development."
Tags / Keywords:
Budget 2014, Parliament, Finance Ministry
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)