Home > News > Nation
Saturday October 12, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday October 12, 2013 MYT 7:25:36 AM
by maizatul nazlina
KUALA LUMPUR: The former wife of Sarawak tycoon Datuk Seri Mahmud Abu Bekir Taib told a Syariah High Court here that he owns assets in the country worth up to RM1.34bil.
Shahnaz A. Majid, 50, who is claiming RM400mil as well as 50% of assets owned by her ex-husband, said he has shares in 20 audited companies and oil palm estate lands in Sarawak owned by four companies in which he is among the major shareholders.
Shahnaz, sister of popular singer Sheila Majid, said Mahmud Abu Bekir’s shares in the 20 audited companies and the four oil palm estates are part of the four components of his assets; the other two being a RM9mil two-storey bungalow in Bukit Tunku here and a RM50.9mil inheritance from his late mother, Puan Sri Laila Taib.
She was testifying yesterday in the trial of her application to get RM400mil, of which RM300mil is in matrimonial property and RM100mil in mutaah (gifts), as a divorce settlement.
Shahnaz is also claiming 50% of all assets owned by Mahmud Abu Bekir, which include luxury cars, houses, land and shares.
Shahnaz and Mahmud Abu Bekir, the son of Sarawak Chief Minister Tan Sri Taib Mahmud, were married on Jan 9, 1992, and divorced on May 11, 2011. They have a 20-year-old son. Giving her testimony before Syarie judge Mohd Karim Abdul Wahab during examination-in-chief by her counsel Dr Rafie Mohd Shafie, she said her ex-husband’s inheritance was based on the faraid (Islamic law of inheritance and asset distribution), which entitled his father (the chief minister) to 25% of Laila’s assets and the remaining 75% distributed among Laila’s four children.
Regarding the bungalow in Bukit Tunku, Shahnaz said it is owned by a company called Ivy Craft, in which Mahmud Abu Bekir owned 50% shares.
“His shares in the 20 companies total RM219mil; four land parcels valued from RM636mil to RM1.05bil; bungalow with swimming pool priced at RM9mil and inheritance from his late mother RM50.9mil,” she said.
Shahnaz added that the details were based on an audit report by several qualified accountants who were appointed by her.
Dr Rafie and Akbardin Abdul Kader appeared for Shahnaz while counsels Datuk Zainur Rijal Abu Bakar and Saadiah Din acted for Mahmud Abu Bekir.
The hearing continues on Nov 6.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts & Crime, Family & Community, Shahnaz A. majid, Syariah High Court, sarawak chief minister. inheritance, faraid
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)