Home > News > Nation
Monday September 30, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday September 30, 2013 MYT 7:31:04 AM
by manjit kaur
IPOH: A former manager of a National Service camp in Kuala Kangsar which had been shut down claimed to have received a death threat from a former staff.
Amir Hashim Yot, 58, said the former 47-year-old supervisor of the Tangkas Kendiri camp in Sauk confronted him for failing to settle salary arrears amounting to RM10,500.
He said the man had on Sept 7 approached him at a coffeshop in Taiping’s Jalan Tupai and verbally abused him before demanding the outstanding amount dating from March to the middle of June last year.
He has lodged a police report.
Amir said the camp management was facing problems since it was shut down in June last year.
“We will settle the debt once the company is sold to a new operator. Several firms are interested in taking over the camp,” he said.
In May last year, the Taiping High Court issued an order to close the camp and freeze all its assets after the camp owner failed to pay RM1.25mil owed to the main contractor.
Taiping OCPD Asst Comm Yusuf Mohd Diah confirmed a report was lodged and said investigations were being carried out.
In an unrelated development, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the NS Patriotism module would be reviewed to include the Sulu intrusion experience.
He said the inclusion of the Lahad Datu incident was aimed at reminding the younger generation of the sacrifices made by servicemen.
“We want to bring the module more into real time,” said Hishammuddin in Kota Kinabalu after presenting the keys to a new house to a retired soldier.
He said the review was necessary as many youths might not be able to relate to the communist insurgency that occurred decades ago.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts & Crime, camp manager receives death threat
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)