Home > News > Nation
Wednesday September 25, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday September 25, 2013 MYT 7:38:51 AM
by simon khoo
Looking for justice: Zuraida pointing at an article on Muhammad Suhaimi’s (inset) death, while her children look on.
ROMPIN: There’s a new twist to the story of the National Service trainee who died after being found unconscious. He was actually beaten to death – for jumping the queue during breakfast on Sunday.
Muhammad Suhaimi Norhamidi was hammered repeatedly by several fellow trainees at the Pinggiran Pelangi camp in Muadzam Shah near here, causing him to suffer internal head injuries.
About half an hour after the alleged assault, the 18-year-old was found sprawled on the bathroom floor of their hostel.
The camp commandant rushed the boy to the Muadzam Shah Hospital, where he died.
Pahang Deputy CID chief Supt Mohd Haris Daud said three trainees, aged between 18 and 20, were detained on Monday to assist in investigations.
He said that two of them had fractures in their hands believed to be due to the hard blows they landed on the victim.
“Initial investigations revealed that the victim had cut queue during breakfast before a group of trainees confronted him, resulting in a scuffle.
“We believe another fight occurred later in the day before he collapsed and succumbed to head injuries,” Supt Mohd Haris said yesterday.
Rompin OCPD Deputy Supt Johari Jahaya said police had classified the case as murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code after obtaining the post-mortem report.
“The report revealed that the victim died from internal bleeding in the head due to blunt trauma.
“All three trainees have been remanded for a week until Sept 30,” he said.
National Service Training Department acting director-general Rozainor Ramli said a special unit had been set up to conduct an internal inquiry.
Rozainor said the department would also give its full cooperation to the police.
A check at the camp showed its gates were locked.
A security guard said he was directed not to allow any visitors or media personnel into the premises.
The camp management declined to give any comments on the incident.
Meanwhile, the victim’s mother, Zuraida Zainudin, 40, said she spotted bruises on her son’s ears and face while identifying his remains at the mortuary after being informed by her ex-husband, Norhamidi Bakar.
“I have had a feeling and suspicion that he was being assaulted by others in the camp.
“All along, he was healthy and it is not possible that he suffered from any illnesses,” she said, adding that there were also traces of blood from his nose and mouth.
Zuraida hoped that the authorities would conduct a thorough investigation and find out the cause of her son’s death.
She said that if it was proven that other trainees had assaulted her son, they should be punished.
“If given an opportunity, I would like to confront them personally and ask them why they did it,” she said.
Zuraida also said that Muhammad Suhaimi had harboured hopes of meeting and shaking hands with Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob.
“He told me this last week when I spoke to him.
“Now, his wish will never be fulfilled,” she said in between sobs.
Zuraida also said her son wanted to join the armed forces and was motivated to take part in the training camp.
Muhammad Suhaimi, the eldest of six siblings, was buried in his hometown in Kampung Kelibang, Kerdau.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts & Crime, NS trainee murdered in Pahang
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)