Home > News > Nation
Monday September 23, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday September 23, 2013 MYT 8:26:32 AM
by isabelle lai
In intensive care: Muhammad Izzat is recovering after undergoing head surgery at Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
PETALING JAYA: The teenage superbike rider who was involved in the tragedy which killed a safety marshal at the Sepang International Circuit (SIC) is now recovering in the intensive care unit after undergoing head surgery.
Muhammad Izzat Mohd Abdul Hakim, 17, went for the operation at Hospital Kuala Lumpur to release the pressure in his brain on Saturday night.
“He is still in critical, but otherwise stable, condition. He’s being monitored constantly and his heart rate and blood pressure seem normal for now,” said his team manager Steven Ong.
“I reach out to his teammates, friends, family members and relatives to pray for his speedy recovery.”
Muhammad Izzat is in the SIC Ninja 250 Cup programme this year and has been racing competitively since 2006.
The programme is owned by SIC and supported by Kawasaki.
It is managed and run by BiKeART, of which Ong is team manager.
Ong expressed hope that all parties would refrain from speculating about the incident while the authorities were carrying out a thorough investigation.
He said there had been several rumours flying around as well as inaccuracies published by some media on the incident.
Describing Muhammad Izzat as friendly besides being a very committed rider, he said the teenager’s family was still in shock but remained “calm and positive” while keeping vigil at his bedside.
He said he had not witnessed the moment when Muhammad Izzat collided with safety marshal Satish Suppiah, 44, at around 12.30pm at SIC, minutes before the end of the morning practice session.
“I was behind the pit walls and rushed to the scene upon hearing the bike crash,” he said, adding that they were all deeply saddened at Satish’s death.
Ong, who is also project coordinator/consultant for the SIC Ninja 250 Cup, added that he had known Muhammad Izzat for many years and even raced together in 2008 at a fun race organised by Kawasa-ki.
He said the teenager had been clocking the fastest lap time during the practice session, adding that he would refrain from commenting on the incident until investigations were completed.
This is the second incident to occur at SIC after MotoGP racer Marco Simoncelli, 24, was killed in a crash during the 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix on Oct 23, 2011.
The third round of the Malaysian Super Series has been cancelled and new dates for round four will be announced in due time.
Emotional farewell for safety marshal
Probe into why rider failed to see marshal on the track
Tags / Keywords:
Transport & Safety, muhammad izzat, sepang, freak accident
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)