Home > News > Nation
Monday September 16, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday September 16, 2013 MYT 7:32:15 AM
by alison lai, sira habibu, AND a. raman
TRAGEDY struck a family of a just married bride in Coimbatore district, India, reported Tamil Nesan.
Her parents died after inhaling poisonous fumes from a generator set up in a small house they had built for their daughter on her wedding night.
Two others in the house, the bride’s younger brother and her 60-year-old grandmother, are fighting for their lives in a hospital.
Police said the family had installed the generator inside the small house as the electricity had yet to be connected there.
The young couple were married on Wednesday.
After the ritual, they were taken to the room in their new house while the bride’s family slept outside.
When she woke up in the morning, the bride found her parents dead and her brother and grandmother unconscious.
The family had rented the generator specifically for the occasion.
In the latest development, the residents have been issued notices to vacate their houses by Tuesday.
And the residents are crying foul because City Hall has yet to arrange temporary houses for them until the low-cost houses they are supposed to get as part of the settlement are built.
Most of the residents are from the low- and middle-income groups and they are unable to find temporary housing immediately.
They are now appealing to be allowed to stay until they can find shelter.
Other News & Views is compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with this > sign, it denotes a separate news item.
Tags / Keywords:
Lifestyle, tamil view
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)