Home > News > Nation
Thursday September 5, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday September 5, 2013 MYT 8:46:16 AM
by shaun ho
Happier times: Ahbabovic with a picture of his family during a trip to Penang a few years ago.
PETALING JAYA: Bosnian national Ervin Ahbabovic appears to have had his 15 minutes of fame on a number of occasions since 2006.
He has been in the limelight for the wrong reasons, going by past news reports.
One of the earlier reports was about his then wife, who complained to the MCA Public Services and Complaints Department that he held her and their two children against their will in Bosnia for two months.
In the report published in a Chinese daily on Aug 1, 2006, a 30-year-old company manager known only as Leong claimed that Ahbabovic had brought them to Bosnia on the pretext of visiting his home country.
Upon arriving there in April of that year, Leong claimed that Ahbabovic became a different man, locking them at home and forbidding them to contact anyone.
She found out later that Ahbabovic had brought them to Bosnia to avoid being investigated for sexual harassment, Leong claimed.
Leong eventually fled on July 22, 2006 with the help of her Bosnian in-laws, who brought her to the Malaysian embassy there.
She later lodged a police report against him when he started harassing her family at their home in Malaysia.
Subsequently, a Bahasa Malaysia daily reported on June 8, 2010, that Ahbabovic and his wife (identified in the report as Amalyna Evelyn Abdullah) were battling for custody of their two children.
Ahbabovic was quoted as saying that he filed for custody to prevent Amalyna from converting them out of Islam.
He said that he and Amalyna were married in November 2002 after they met in 1999.
Ahbabovic also claimed that he had taken his family on a holiday around Europe and Bosnia but his wife suddenly ran away with their children.
He said that his efforts to locate them were disrupted when he was remanded for three months for alleged sexual harrasment.
Ahbabovic was also featured in an English daily on June 5, 2003 after he was kicked out of a business partnership.
On April 14, 2003, his business partners allegedly closed down his outlet and dismissed him from the partnership in which he had acted as a sub-contractor.
Ahbabovic claimed his partners confiscated all equipment, furniture and fittings in the outlet that cost him RM80,000.
MCA Public Services and Complaints Department head Datuk Seri Michael Chong confirmed having received at least one complaint against Ahbabovic earlier this year when a former girlfriend came to seek help.
“I cannot say anymore since this is going to court,” he said when contacted.
Sources said that several women, who had previously been involved with him, made at least 18 reports against him to the police and non-governmental organisations.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts & Crime, sperm, ervin ahbabovic
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)