Home > News > Nation
Sunday September 1, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday September 1, 2013 MYT 6:34:15 AM
by vincent tan
RAWANG: A factory in Jalan Batu Arang here has been identified as the culprit responsible for spilling diesel into Sungai Selangor, and its owner given notice of “the sternest possible action” against him.
Selangor State Secretary Datuk Mohammed Khusrin Munawi said: “We will take the sternest possible action, and we are even looking at the possibility of seizing the land (on which the factory is sited) if the law permits it.”
Khusrin was speaking to reporters when accompanying about 30 personnel of the Selayang Municipal Council (MPS) and the Selangor Department of Environment (DOE) and several policemen who went to the factory to seal it off yesterday.
MPS has already slapped the owner with 14 compounds amounting to RM34,000.
Khusrin said the damage caused by the oil spill was incalculable. “Who knows the possible danger caused (by the spill) to places like eateries and hospitals?”
Khusrin said that the Immigration Department would be involved in the investigation carried out by DOE and the Gombak District and Land Office as the factory had workers in nearby quarters.
MPS president Mohd Azizi Mohd Zain, who was at the scene, said the factory owner had been collecting waste engine oil and reprocessing it.
“For some reason, he discharged the oil into a drain that flows into a tributary of Sungai Gong, which is a tributary of Sungai Selangor,” he added.
Mohd Azizi said that personnel from MPS and water concessionaire Puncak Niaga, the main shareholder of Syabas, had gone downstream and traced the flow back to the factory.
He said MPS seized 20 items, consisting mainly of heavy machinery. DOE confiscated two tankers for evidence.
Mohd Azizi said the factory had also been making roll-on/roll-off containers and waste compactors, a heavy industrial activity for which it had no licence.
He believed the factory was illegal because the owner could not produce a licence for any of the business activities.
“The only licence they produced was for the office building itself,” Mohd Azizi said.
Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim confirmed in a statement that MPS had sealed off the premises and that a stop-work order had been issued.
The factory owner could not be reached for comment.
Tags / Keywords:
Environment, Utilities, Selangor Water Crisis Aug-Sep 2013; illegal factory; Selayang; waste oil spillage
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)