Home > News > Nation
Saturday August 31, 2013 MYT 12:53:00 PM
Saturday August 31, 2013 MYT 5:43:19 PM
by vincent tan
KUALA LUMPUR: Selayang Municipal Council personnel, supported by police and Selangor Department of Environment officers, raided a factory in Jalan Batu Arang on Saturday, believed to be the source of the oil polluting Sungai Selangor that has triggered water cuts affecting nearly a million people in the Klang Valley.
Council President Mohd Azizi Mohd Zain said the council had issued the factory 14 compounds totalling RM34,000 for a variety of violations.
"The owner was conducting various heavy industrial activities on this lot, including collecting waste oil and reprocessing it. They were discharging the waste oil from the two lorry tankers owned by the business," said Mohd Azizi.
The factory is suspected to be illegal as no business licenses for any of its heavy industrial activities could be produced when requested by council officers.
The factory is located 500m from AEON in Rawang, close to an upmarket residential area.
Residents had frequently complained about the bad smell coming from the factory, prompting the council to shut it down, but it continued functioning.
Council officers said that the factory now would not only be shut down but also be sealed, with a couple of officers on standby to ensure it does not start up again.
The industrial lot was also found to be manufacturing roll-on/roll-off containers and compactors.
State Secretary Datuk Mohammed Khusrin Munawi said that enforcement by the local authority had been lacking, and the various departments - the council, Gombak land office, and DOE - would be brought in to assess the different violations as well.
The owner of the lot could not be contacted by the council during the raid, nor later by The Star in the afternoon.
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)