Home > News > Nation
Wednesday August 28, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday August 28, 2013 MYT 7:12:34 AM
by austin camoens
PETALING JAYA: Snatch theft victim B. Saravanan is standing firm on his testimony that two policemen were involved in two instances of snatch theft near Taman Mayang, even as police investigations are ongoing.
The 27-year-old lorry driver insists that he correctly identified the two suspected snatch thieves.
“I fought them off and they threw stones directly at me. I don’t think I can easily forget an incident like that,” said Saravanan yesterday.
He had earlier pointed the suspects out during an identification parade held four days after the July 3 incident.
Meanwhile, Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Arjunaidi Mohamed said there were still some “technical problems” with the identification parade where the complainant had pointed out the two policemen.
He said police were investigating the case from several angles to get a clearer picture of the incident, and have already recorded statements from more than 10 witnesses.
“The motorcycle involved did belong to one of the constables and had a fake number plate, but the policeman claims he had sold the machine to another person.
“We are investigating his claims as well,” he told a press conference at the Petaling Jaya police headquarters yesterday.
It was reported that Saravanan, 27, used his car to ram into the two snatch thieves who were on a motorcycle last month after he saw them snatching a woman’s necklace near Taman Mayang. He said he tried to fight with them and one of them hurled bricks at him and his car.
One of the thieves fled on foot, while the other tried to escape on the damaged motorcycle, but abandoned it after failing to start it.
One of them then took out a knife and lunged at Saravanan and snatched his gold chain before running away.
Saravanan then followed two responding policemen to the Kelana Jaya police station and checks later revealed that the motorcycle belonged to a policeman.
Acting Selangor police chief Deputy Comm A. Thaiveegan has assured the public that his men will get to the bottom of the case in two days.
“The two constables who are not from the Selangor police contingent, will remain on duty until more evidence is collected,” he said, urging those with information on the case to contact the police at 03-2052 9999.
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)