Home > News > Nation
Wednesday August 28, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday August 28, 2013 MYT 9:43:05 AM
Giving thanks: Idris shaking hands with some of the 260 students from Egypt at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. -Bernama
KUALA LUMPUR: Fifteen Malaysians, including nine students, have opted to stay behind in restive Syria despite being told to return home, said Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman.
He said that the ministry would like to repeat its travel advisory issued on July 21 and Nov 12 last year, urging Malaysians in Syria to return home.
Those intending to travel to Syria were also advised to postpone their journey for safety reasons, he said in a statement yesterday.
Anifah said that the ministry was monitoring the situation in Syria through the Malaysian embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, as the Malaysian embassy in Damascus was closed in July last year.
In Cairo, the remaining Malaysian students registered under the evacuation programme will be flown home from strife-torn Egypt at the latest by Friday.
Second Education Minister Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh said that so far 1,305 students had returned home while 1,056 more would follow suit.
“The National Security Council has done a good job. Compared to the ‘Pyramid I Ops’, the operation this time around is smoother and better,” he told reporters at the Cairo International Airport before flying home together with 260 Malaysian students on Monday night.
Idris said that the registration for the evacuation programme had been closed for the time being.
Earlier, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said that the Government had decided to bring home Malaysian students in Egypt via commercial flights in view of the volatile situation there. — Bernama
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)