Home > News > Nation
Monday July 29, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday July 31, 2013 MYT 9:59:13 AM
SEREMBAN: MyWatch chairman R. Sri Sanjeevan, who was shot at close range while in his car, did not lodge a police report on the threat he received hours before the attempt on his life.
“Sanjeevan did mention in social media some 12 hours before the shooting about the threats to him and his family. However, he did not file a report,” said state police chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Osman Salleh.
The 29-year-old bachelor, who had been admitted to the Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital (TJH) here, was in stable condition and had been given round-the-clock police protection, he told reporters.
Sanjeevan, who is from Bahau, had spoken several times previously about getting death threats following his allegations about corruption in the force.
He had picked up a 35-year-old friend from his home in Taman Cempaka at 4.30pm on Saturday and they were heading towards Bahau town when he was shot.
SAC Osman said both the pillion rider and his accomplice were on a red Yamaha LC. They wore full-faced helmets.
Asked whether the attack was due to Sanjeevan’s allegations of illegal gambling activities in the Jelebu district, SAC Osman said police were investigating all angles.
“The motive of the attack could be revenge. We are continuing with our probe,” he said, adding that the case was being investigated under Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder.
In January, Sanjeevan claimed that a policeman from the Jelebu police headquarters had allegedly threatened to shoot him minutes after he informed Bukit Aman of illegal gambling outlets operating in the area.
“We investigated the Jelebu case as the victim had lodged a police report. It was then referred to the DPP. However, the case has been ‘NFAed’ (no further action),” he said, adding that Sanjeevan was also notified about it.
Sanjeevan had said that the man who issued the death threat was a police officer intent on protecting illegal gambling outlets there, which he claimed had been operating for two years.
Asked about a statement by former Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan that the attack on Sanjeevan could be due to his expose on alleged police misconduct, SAC Osman said police welcomed all leads.
“The problem is that apart from the Jelebu case, Sanjeevan was not specific in his allegations,” he said.
SAC Osman said police had detained Sanjeevan’s friend who was with him in the car for an unrelated case after his statement was recorded at the Bahau station.
“We discovered that his friend was on the police wanted list for a drug-related offence.
“The friend was not detained for the shooting incident as reported in social media,” he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Crime, shooting, guns
Sanjeevan did not report death threat, says Negri police chief
MyWatch's Sanjeevan asks why no action on his countless police reports
Lankan cop’s record bid ends in death
Anti-crime watchdog activist still waiting for word on shooting incident
NFCorp loses mall lease
SMEs need higher soft loans to revive business
Students to run against human trafficking
Singapore envoy confident vision can be achieved with M’sia as chairman
Father desperately seeking mentally-ill son
Landslide victims may be able to return home tomorrow
Community also reminded to adhere strictly to the Quran and Sunnah
Mesmerising Northern Territory – its parks and indigenous culture
'Clever' Japan firm donates high-tech masks for Ebola fight
Engineering students take to the circuit to learn more about motorsports
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)