X Close

Nation

Published: Thursday March 28, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Wednesday April 24, 2013 MYT 2:08:30 PM

Star Wars' Roger Christian not returning to the "galaxy far, far away"

Roger Christian (right) and Finas chairman Datuk Md Afendi Hamdan watch a preview of a Malaysian-made film at Kompleks Studio Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur. Starpix by NICHOLAS CHENG

Roger Christian (right) and Finas chairman Datuk Md Afendi Hamdan watch a preview of a Malaysian-made film at Kompleks Studio Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur. Starpix by NICHOLAS CHENG

KUALA LUMPUR: The man behind the lightsabers and the Death Star and everything we have come to know and love of the original Star Wars, will not be returning to the new franchise reboot.

Roger Christian said he has no plans to return to the "galaxy far, far away" under the helm of director J.J Abrams and Disney.

"The franchise is in a whole new world now. It's Disney's now," said Christian, who won an Academy Award for art direction for the first Star Wars movie, which was later renamed Episode IV: A New Hope, in 1977.

"George (Lucas) and I became great friends and struggled to make the first Star Wars.

"But it's gone into a different world," he told reporters here. He did not elaborate on what he meant by the new franchises' direction.

Christian, 69, served as the second unit director for Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. He received a second Oscar nomination for his work in Ridley Scott's Alien.

A new Star Wars movie is in the pipeline under Disney which bought the Star Wars franchise last year. The movie is expected to hit the screens in 2015.

It was reported that Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher would be reprising their roles as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia respectively.

Christian is currently in Malaysia on a scouting project for locations for an upcoming zombie flick to be filmed and produced here, featuring local talent. The film, titled “Temple of the Undead,” would be made in the veins of eye-popping visual effect-driven films like Sin City and 300.

Christian will also be greeting Star Wars fans at a gallery exhibition featuring never-before-seen photographs from the production of Star Wars Episode 1: THe Phantom Menace at Benz in Bangsar Shopping Centre (BSC) from 4PM to 8PM Thursday.

Tags / Keywords: Nation, News, Death Star, original Star Wars, Star Wars franchise, Abrams and Disney, Roger Christian, Entertainment

advertisement

  1. Suspect shot, another surrenders hours after Puchong robbery
  2. Selangor cops make RM30mil black money bust
  3. Lawyer suffocates in attempt to rescue puppies from metre-deep hole
  4. Firefly flight bound for Kota Baru forced to turn back
  5. When the world turns upside down
  6. Malacca treasure no longer a myth
  7. The Obama double in Malaysia
  8. TV series 'Indian Summers' to be shot in Penang
  9. Babysitter swings one-year-old - and kills her instead
  10. Malaysian passport 9th best in the world

advertisement

advertisement