Home > News > Nation
Monday March 18, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday April 24, 2013 MYT 1:33:01 PM
by patrick lee
PETALING JAYA: Self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III has ordered his men to engage in guerilla warfare against security forces in Sabah, according to a news agency report.
Jamalul was reported in The Philippine Star as saying that he has no intention of pulling his troops out of Sabah.
"They are already in their homeland, so why come back?" he told reporters in his Taguig City home, Manila.
The Sulu sultanate's spokesman, Abraham Idjirani, said the "struggle" in Sabah would continue.
Idjirani said that the ceasefire which the sultan had previously called for with the Malaysian authorities had been cancelled and the men were ordered to carry out "hit and run" attacks against the security forces.
In a previous report, several individuals in Manila claimed that some 170 gunmen are still in Sabah, including Jamalul's brother Azzimudie Kiram.
However, there have been conflicting reports of Azzimudie's whereabouts.
More than 70 people, including 10 soldiers and police officers, have been killed since the Sulu gunmen clashed with security forces on March 1.
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, News, Self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, Sulu sultanate, courts and crime, politics, semporna, lahad datu, sulu gunmen, intruders, sulu sultanate, sabah
Lahad Datu: Two soldiers posthumously promoted to corporal
Manila wants peaceful end to stand-off
Sulu army hopeful of a peaceful end
Bleak celebration for 11 families in shelter
It’s a day of healthy indulgence for some
PM and wife join in festivities
Indian PM congratulates Najib on Malaysia’s UNSC seat
Rain fails to dampen Mariah Carey's fans' spirits
RM2mil early warning system
Filling the space Between
Hong Kong for the pleasure of business travellers
Taman Bukit Serdang residents want abandoned vehicles removed
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)