Home > News > Nation
Monday March 18, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday April 24, 2013 MYT 1:33:01 PM
by patrick lee
Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III seen at his home in Taguig City, south of Manila, Philippines 17 March 2013. - EPA
PETALING JAYA: Self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III has ordered his men to engage in guerilla warfare against security forces in Sabah, according to a news agency report.
Jamalul was reported in The Philippine Star as saying that he has no intention of pulling his troops out of Sabah.
"They are already in their homeland, so why come back?" he told reporters in his Taguig City home, Manila.
The Sulu sultanate's spokesman, Abraham Idjirani, said the "struggle" in Sabah would continue.
Idjirani said that the ceasefire which the sultan had previously called for with the Malaysian authorities had been cancelled and the men were ordered to carry out "hit and run" attacks against the security forces.
In a previous report, several individuals in Manila claimed that some 170 gunmen are still in Sabah, including Jamalul's brother Azzimudie Kiram.
However, there have been conflicting reports of Azzimudie's whereabouts.
More than 70 people, including 10 soldiers and police officers, have been killed since the Sulu gunmen clashed with security forces on March 1.
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, News, Self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, Sulu sultanate, courts and crime, politics, semporna, lahad datu, sulu gunmen, intruders, sulu sultanate, sabah
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)