Home > News > Nation
Friday March 15, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday April 18, 2013 MYT 12:57:19 AM
GEORGE TOWN: Consortium Zenith BUCG Sdn Bhd was awarded the RM6.3bil undersea tunnel and road projects in Penang according to procedures, a state exco member said.
State Public Works, Utilities and Transport Committee chairman Lim Hock Seng said the request for proposals (RFP) for the projects was called from July 6 to Oct 15 while the consortium was set up on July 5.
“The letter of intent was given to the consortium on Feb 6,” he said.
Hock Seng was responding to a query posed by activist Ong Eu Soon, who is a former Aliran executive council member.
Ong had urged Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng to clarify how the mega project was awarded to a company that was only formed after the closing date for the submission of proposal.
Ong claimed that the closing date for the submission of proposal for the projects was in June while the consortium was only set up on July 5.
Hock Seng said a pre-qualification exercise for the projects was held from Nov 14, 2011 to Jan 14 last year in which 11 companies took part.
“Eight companies were selected by the state Technical and Finance Department and were invited to take part in the RFP.
“Five companies took part in the RFP and the consortium was awarded,” Hock Seng said in Komtar yesterday after a meeting with representatives of various associations from Penang.
Asked if the companies that formed the consortium were among those invited to take part in the RFP, he said details of the companies which took part in the pre-qualification exercise was with Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) engineering department deputy director A. Rajendran. Rajendran, however, could not be reached for comments.
The projects consist of a 6.5km Gurney Drive-Bagan Ajam undersea tunnel, a 4.2km Gurney Drive-Lebuhraya Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Bypass, a 4.6km Lebuhraya Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu-Bandar Baru Air Itam Bypass and a 12km road connecting Tanjung Bungah with Teluk Bahang.
It was reported that Consortium Zenith BUCG, which was awarded the tender for the projects, was a collaboration of four companies which had a total paid-up capital of more than RM4.5bil. They are Beijing Urban Construction Group, Sri Tinggi Sdn Bhd, Jureteras Sdn Bhd and the Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd-China Railway Construction Corporation Ltd partnership.
Hock Seng also refuted a report that the Jalan Bukit Minyak-Alma 1.5km road expansion project was awarded to the same consortium.
He said the project was still in its plan designing stage and that an open tender would be called.
It was reported yesterday that Guan Eng had on Feb 28 confirmed that the road expansion project was awarded to the consortium.
Meanwhile, Penang Citizens Awareness Group (Chant) adviser Prof Dr Jimmy Lim said if the state wanted to build the undersea tunnel, it should go all the way by building tunnels on the island for the public to take underground trains.
“Chant is not against development. We are all for a quality of life with improvements in technology,”
Dr Lim was, however, of the opinion that an undersea tunnel would cause more traffic congestion on the island.
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, News, Politics, rm6.3bil, guan eng, hock seng
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)