Home > News > Nation
Wednesday February 13, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday April 17, 2013 MYT 12:01:52 PM
by stephanie lee
KOTA KINABALU: A man died and 17 others were hospitalised after consuming mussels and bivalves infected with red tide toxins, in the most serious case of paralystic shellfish poisoning (PSP) this season.
Sabah Fisheries Department director Rayner Stuel Galid said his department received a report from the State Health Department about the latest incident.
The victims had all purchased cockles and bivalves from street peddlers at the Inanam market, Galid said in a statement on Wednesday.
He said the red tide warning was still in place and urged the public to avoid consuming all types of marine shellfish or bivalves.
These include sea oysters, mussels, cockles, bivalves and any type of clam-like seafood.
Beginning late November, the department detected a high amount of PSP toxins in samples of bivalves obtained from the west coast through its red tide monitoring programme.
In January, two teenagers died from consuming poisonous shellfish.
Among the initial symptoms include tingling lips and tongue, a sensation of the 'pins and needles' on the skin, followed by loss of control of arms and legs, and difficulty breathing that could result in death.
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, News, red tide, shellfish, sabah, Health
DAP dreaming if they think they can split Sabah BN, says State Assembly Speaker
Narrow escape for Sabah assistant minister after car catches fire
Sabah attorneys told to put their job scope in black and white
Sabah PAS: We will stay on in state Pakatan pact
Seven ‘notorious’ isles may become restricted areas
Sepang trip a dream come true for F1 Malaysian fan
Najib: F1 Malaysian Grand Prix to continue next three years
Crowds brave heavy rain along Lee Kuan Yew’s funeral procession route
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
The US$50 device that symbolises a shift in North Korea
A Malaysian girl learns the best way to see crowded Angkor temples: on two wheels
Memories to last a lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)