Home > News > Nation
Sunday January 20, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday April 22, 2013 MYT 3:56:18 PM
PETALING JAYA: The three Malaysians who were among those held hostage during a militant attack at the Amenas gas facility in Algeria have been transferred to the capital Algiers.
The Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Sunday that officials from the Malaysian Embassy in Algiers met them and arrangements are being made to bring them back to Malaysia.
It said the family of the three Malaysians had been informed of their condition.
On another development, the statement said the representative from JGC Construction Pte. Ltd, the company that employs the Malaysians, informed that "there is a worrying possibility that one of the two Malaysians who are still unaccounted for is dead whilst the fate of the other Malaysian is still unknown. "
The statment said the Embassy will exert all efforts to work closely with the Algerian authorities and JGC Construction Pte Ltd to verify further on the latest news concerning the two Malaysians.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the situation in Algeria remained unclear with sketchy reports coming in from sources.
"We have been receiving reports from various channels, including the MI6 and CIA, but we cannot establish the condition of the other two Malaysian hostages," he said at a function here on Sunday.
Fate of two Malaysians at gas complex remains unknown
Two Malaysians in Algeria hostage crisis are safe
Hostage crisis: Three of five Malaysians working in gas facility safe
Malaysians held hostage in Algeria
Wisma Putra: Two Malaysians taken hostage in Algeria are safe
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, News, Malaysian Embassy, Algeria hostage crisis, Courts and Crime
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)