Home > News > Nation
Wednesday January 9, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday April 22, 2013 MYT 5:07:23 PM
by teh eng hock
SHAH ALAM: The Selangor state government has again expressed its intention to step in to the operations of water concessionaire Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas).
Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim said the recent water supply disruptions in Cheras and Ampang showed that Syabas had failed to carry out its duties as stated in the concession agreement.
The state government wanted to step in last year after Syabas announced plans to ration water in Selangor in July.
However, the move did not materialise after the federal government objected to the process of stepping in.
Asked why the state government was trying to step in again, Khalid said they were now in a better position to manage Syabas' operations.
"We have been sitting in for daily meetings with Syabas. Every move Syabas makes, we are part of it," he told reporters after chairing the state exco meeting here Wednesday.
On the breakdown at the Wangsa Maju pump house, which caused water supply disruptions to more than half a million people, Khalid alleged that Syabas had failed to regularly service the Variable Speed Drive (VSD) system.
"The VSD system needs periodically preventive maintenance, but Syabas does not have a periodical maintenance contract with the VSD supplier.
"Syabas only calls the supplier for maintenance when a problem crops up," he claimed.
Khalid also rubbished Syabas' claim that spare parts for the pumps could only be imported from Finland, saying that the supplier vouched that the parts could be couriered in from China.
Syabas: Water crisis in Ampang and Cheras to continue till CNY
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, News, Utilities, Syabas
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)