Home > News > Nation
Monday July 30, 2012 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday May 30, 2013 MYT 7:29:13 AM
KUANTAN: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) will enforce stricter rules for the distribution of 1Malaysia netbooks to students in the state following cases of falsification of information to obtain the netbook during the last two phases.
Eastern Region MCMC director Datuk Mohd Shafie Harun said although there were only a few such cases identified, the matter could not be allowed to prolong because it denied distribution to deserving students.
"To be fair, we will be more strict in the third phase of distribution in the state so that only students who truly deserve will be provided with the facility.
"If we find any falsification of information, for example if the household income is more than RM3000 and they have marked it below RM3000, we will remove the student's name from the list of receivers," he told reporters here Monday.
He said the measure was also taken following complaints from students and parents who felt they deserved the facility but were denied because of the problem.
He said MCMC had urged deserving students or their parents to appeal to MCMC to ensure that the netbook reached them.
"Appeals can be made through the offices of the respective State Assemblymen or Members of Parliament or by coming directly to the MCMC office," he said.
Mohd Shafie said 37,000 netbook units would be distributed in the third phase to students who were deserving or those whose names had been left out in the last two phases in the state, including 5,800 units which would be distributed in the Teruntum and Tanjung Lumpur state constituencies.
He said the third phase distribution would be done in stages until the end of the schooling term this year.
Speaking about the broadband penetration rate in the state now, he said the MCMC had managed to raise it to 50.3 percent, and was aiming to have 75 percent penetration by 2015. - Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Netbook scheme hit by woes
1Malaysia Privilege Card offering discounts up to 50pc to be launched soon
1Malaysia Frequent User Toll Rebate programme to be terminated
Muhyiddin: BR1M will be continued for as long as Barisan is in power
GE13: No community will be ignored under 1Malaysia, says Najib
Tsunami miracle baby 10 years on
A night to remember for ABBA fans
Mum and daughter stabbed by burglar
Two killed in five-vehicle collision
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
Google looks to head off US antitrust lawsuit over Android
TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice for Destinations on the Rise 2015
Lat’s ‘Kampung Boy’ takes second spot in Japanese award
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)