X Close

Nation

Published: Tuesday June 12, 2012 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Wednesday May 29, 2013 MYT 2:56:56 PM

Nazri: Moves to accede to Rome Statute of International Criminal Court

KUALA LUMPUR: Effort is still underway for Malaysia to accede to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC) said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz.

"Discussions are still underway with the Attorney-General Chambers on the matter and I give the assurance that Malaysia will eventually accede to the Rome Statute," he told lawmakers in Dewan Rakyat Tuesday.

Though the Government had agreed in principle to be signatory to the international norms against genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in March last year, he said Malaysia must first be able to comply with the provisions under the statute.

"When we agreed in principle to accede to the Rome Statute and ICC last year, there were laws such as the Emergency Ordinance that were still in force.

"We have since taken steps to review such laws," he said.

He noted among the issues left to be resolved concerns immunity of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong with Malaysia looking at the monarchy in Jordan as a model.

Tags / Keywords: Nation, News

advertisement

  1. Malaysian passport 9th best in the world
  2. Japanese oil tanker robbed, three crew believed kidnapped in dramatic dawn raid
  3. KL set to be in 'security lockdown'
  4. 'Godfather' believed to have killed 13-year-old boy
  5. Every kind of success in life depends on our virtues as a person
  6. Brave boy comforts family
  7. At the ‘mercy’ of drivers
  8. College staff turn to loan sharks after salaries unpaid for four months
  9. Selangor MB Khalid: Can't stop water rationing yet, but will review next week
  10. Guan Eng: Heads will roll if Penang water rationing imposed

advertisement

advertisement