Home > News > Nation
Saturday May 5, 2012 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday May 26, 2013 MYT 7:14:58 PM
by a ruban AND elween loke
KLANG: Container truck drivers have called off their protest against increased gate charges at depots and delays which had affected their earnings.
After three days of protesting outside Northport and Wesport in Bandar Sultan Sulaiman, the drivers went back to work Saturday after agreeing to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with several depot operators and haulier companies.
A check at Bandar Sultan Sulaiman showed that situation was back normal.
Banners that were put up by the truckers during their three-day protest had been taken out.
In Sitiawan, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said the MoU included the depot operators agreement to extend credit to hauliers so that the drivers need not pay cash.
"The depot operators also agreed to speed up their service to within an hour," he told reporters in Sitiawan.
In addition, he said, the drivers should cooperate by informing the operators the time and date they would collect their containers.
Kong said though the operations and management of the depots do not come under the purview of the ministry, the ministry did not want the operations of the port, especially international shipping, to be affected by the protest.
A driver, who declined to be name, said he was satisfied with the MoU.
"Our protest had been fruitful. Port Klang Authority (PKA) has given us what we want. Now, we hope the implementation part will not be dragged on," he said.
The MoU is expected to be signed on Monday.
Tags / Keywords:
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)