Home > News > Nation
Monday April 30, 2012 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday May 27, 2013 MYT 6:51:53 PM
KUALA LUMPUR: The Bar Council has refuted Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein’s assertion that police acted professionally during the Bersih 3.0 rally, saying instead that their actions were reminiscent of Bersih 2.0 last year.
Vice-president Christopher Leong said police had practised restraint in the morning but their attitude underwent a “sea-change” at 3pm.
“The reported breach of police barricades in some areas does not justify it unleashing the full force of their arsenal,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Although Leong agreed that organisers of public assemblies had to bear some responsibility, he said it did not justify the rough response.
The council, whose members had monitored the rally, reported harsh police action such as firing tear gas and water cannons directly at the crowd and assaulting members of the media.
Meanwhile, Perkasa said those who made fun of the royalty should have their citizenship revoked, adding that the Royal Malaysian Police meant that they belonged to the King.
Its chief Datuk Ibrahim Ali condemned the beating and insults hurled against policemen on duty as humiliating the King.
Probe assault on journalists'
The good, bad and ugly
I did not instigate crowd, says Azmin
We condemn violence and want a full inquiry, says Bersih co-chairman
Big mess after Bersih
Rally hijacked by politicians, say BN reps
Rally just an excuse to smear Barisan, says MCA
Videos of Dataran demo to be aired
Tags / Keywords:
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)