X Close


Published: Sunday April 29, 2012 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Monday May 27, 2013 MYT 6:39:10 PM

Cops release 200 protesters in batches

KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 388 people who took part in the Bersih 3.0 rally were arrested for various offences as at 9pm last night, according to figures released on the police's Facebook page.

Bar Council committee member Shahredzan Johan said about 200 detainees had been released in batches this morning.

Kuala Lumpur CPO Deputy Comm Datuk Mohmad Salleh said that 11 policemen sustained injuries and were treated at Hospital Kuala Lumpur and UKM Hospital.

Two police cars, a four-wheel-drive vehicle and motorcycle were damaged, he added.

Those arrested were brought to the police training centre in Jalan Semarak here before their photographs and details were taken, and statements recorded.

They were also given a medical check-up and those injured were treated by medical personnel stationed there.

Amenities such as a prayer room for Muslims and chairs were also provided while they waited for their turn to be attended to.

Food and drinks were also provided.

It is believed that Bersih steering committee member Wong Chin Huat was among those who were picked up.

Bar Council vice-president Christopher Leong said lawyers who tried to provide legal aid to help those arrested had been denied access to the detainees since 5pm.

He added that the council had formed an Urgent Arrest Team to assist those who were arrested.

Related Stories: A riot at peaceful rally Opposition not concerned about free and fair elections, says Najib Patrol car attacked Peaceful assembly turns ugly Flowers for the FRU Man dies of heart attack, 65 given medical treatment LRT stations in the city closed for safety reasons Traders and cabbies see earnings plunge Protests more peaceful in other parts Supporters keep gatherings orderly in Kuching and Sibu What the leaders have to say

Videos Photo Gallery

Tags / Keywords: Nation, News


Most Viewed

Powered by