Home > News > Nation
Wednesday April 25, 2012 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday May 26, 2013 MYT 4:14:04 AM
KUALA LUMPUR: Four hundred and fifty eight homeless people have registered at Anjung Singgah until February, Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minister Heng Seai Kie said.
Heng said Anjung Singgah, which was set up in April last year, has been able to integrate them into society.
"Due to its effectiveness, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak when tabling the 2012 Budget, had announced the expansion of Anjung Singgah to Johor, Penang and Sarawak," she said when answering a question from Senator Datuk Mohammed Najeeb Abdullah at Dewan Negara here Wednesday.
Heng said the Community Development Department and ministry viewed the issue seriously, and carried out rescue operations periodically nationwide based on allocations under Section 3 of the Poor Persons Act 1977.
"Throughout last year, 1,408 vagrants and the homeless were saved through 1,190 rescue operations nationwide," said Heng.
Heng said those above 60 years would be sent to Rumah Seri Kenangan while beggars and the homeless would be placed at Desa Bina Diri.
"The two groups undergo rehabilitation and career training such as vocational, agriculture and handicraft. They will also be given medical treatment, religious guidance and counselling," said Heng.
Foreign beggars who were detained would be handed to the Immigration Department for deportation, she added.
Heng said the ministry also involved various agencies, and set up a special committee, in March last year, to tackle the problem.
The committee's role is to coordinate programmes and formulate integrated actions between government agencies and related non-government organisations, she added. - Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)