Home > News > Nation
Friday February 24, 2012 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday May 25, 2013 MYT 1:05:15 AM
by s. arulldas
BUKIT MERTAJAM: Seven-year-old R. Adithiyaa finally walked into his school for the first time. And when he got home from school, he refused to take off his uniform.
Adithiyaa was elated that he was able to attend his first day at SJK(C) Kubang Semang, after missing out on two months of lessons.
The Education Ministry has approved his application to enrol in the school after previously rejecting his enrolment due to the fact that his mother was stateless.
“Before this, I was sad to see other children my age going to school.
“Now, I am happy that I too can attend school,” said Adithiyaa, whose ambition is to be a pilot.
His plight was highlighted in the press on Feb 10, after the Education Department rejected his application.
Adithiyaa has three siblings aged five, three and one.
Adithiyaa's father R. Rajandra Kumar, 34, an odd-job labourer, thanked Penang MIC Youth chief J. Dhinagaran for helping them enrol their son in the school within a short span of time.
Dhinagaran said he visited the family after reading about their plight to obtain information.
He made several visits to the state Education Department where the officers briefed him on the technical problems faced by Adithiyaa.
He said he then met Deputy Education Minister Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong, who helped to resolve the problem.
Dhinagaran added that Adithiyaa's mother A. Kamala had applied for her birth certificate during the MyDaftar campaign.
“Our checks show that it is being processed.
“We will help the other three siblings get the necessary documents once the mother has obtained her birth certificate,” he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)