Home > News > Community
Monday August 25, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday August 25, 2014 MYT 8:11:48 AM
by s.puspadeviphotos by chan tak kong
PJ Stadium was scheduled to undergo a facelift in August, but due to the failure in getting qualified contractors, upgrading works has been further delayed.
PLANS to upgrade the Petaling Jaya Stadium in Kelana Jaya have come to a halt as contractors who had bid for the tender are not qualified to take on the task.
This raises the possibility that the stadium will remain closed until early next year, thereby affecting the activities of many sports bodies.
Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) public relations officer Zainun Zakaria explained that those who had applied for the open tender for Phase 1 of the upgrading in June were found to be not credible.
“A re-tendering exercise took place on July 18.
“The selection process will take place before the end of this month during the Tender Committee meeting,” Zainun said when met at MBPJ recently.
She, however, did not disclose the number of contractors who had bid for the job, but said the job scope remained the same.
Zainun said RM1mil had been allocated for Phase 1 of the upgrading, and work could start as early as September.
StarMetro had reported on June 5 that the PJ Stadium would be closed in early August to facilitate upgrading work.
Petaling Jaya deputy mayor Puasa Taib had said the facelift would involve repainting the building, upgrading of toilets, replacing the existing fire system, minor electrical work as well as termite control.
Puasa had said the stadium would be closed until the end of December, after which the cost for the second phase of upgrading work would be determined.
He said Phase 2 would involve major electrical work, including upgrading the stadium spotlights and calibrating the roof structure, as well as replacing the electronic scoreboard.
Football Association of Selangor (FAS) secretary Rosman Mohd Ibrahim said although the stadium was badly in need of an upgrade, he was concerned about any further delay in starting work.
“MBPJ should not extend the stadium’s closure due to the delay in getting qualified contractors as this will affect sporting activities in the state.
“Although, FAS has been hosting matches at Stadium Shah Alam due to its capacity, the PJ Stadium in Kelana Jaya is a better option for training due to its central location.
“However, as the pitch has not been maintained over the years, we were forced to train at other grounds,” said Rosman when contacted.
He strongly urged MBPJ to repair the stadium’s pitch as soon as possible and said only a specialised contractor would be able to carry out such work.
Selangor Education Department sports unit head Noor Azli Abdul Rahman said the prolonged closure of the PJ Stadium would definitely affect its activities.
Although the 100m track at the PJ Stadium has not been well-maintained, the department had no other alternative but to continue using it.
“We have athletic development programmes for 10, 12 and 14 year-olds here.
“The possibility of an extension to the closure would mean they do not have a proper training ground.
“These athletes will have to train in their respective school fields,” Noor Azli said, adding this may affect their performance.
He urged the city council to include the repair of the track as part of the upgrading work as most of the schools in the Petaling district use the PJ Stadium to host their sports activities.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Central Region, Retendering process for Petaling Jaya Stadium in Kelana Jaya
Thai housewife brings home-cooked food to the table at Petaling Jaya hotel
GE13: Subang Jaya incumbents remain tight-lipped on prospects
Caregivers get valuable tips
Floodlights at Perak stadium to be installed soon
Operator to add 120 new buses to better serve the public
Eighty young environmentalists conduct experiments to gauge river’s health
Project paper business
Reward for 35 years of service
Out and about
First gig in Amplify series proves to be a hit
Samsung seeks state probe of LG executives for vandalism
Ukraine says ceasefire violations hold up creation of buffer zone
Hamilton leads championship after Rosberg retirement
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)