Home > News > Community
Saturday July 5, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday July 5, 2014 MYT 7:16:51 AM
by stuart michael
Left out in the cold: The new Selayang Municipal Council stalls set up along Jalan 27, Kampung Selayang Baru.
STALL lots are allocated to licensed hawkers through a rigorous process and priority is given to current operators, Selayang Municipal Council (MPS) president Mohd Azizi Mohd Zain said.
“However, if we find there is any unauthorised deals between the stall operator and a third party, we will blacklist both parties and offer the stall to others,” he said.
He said this in response to a complaint from a tom yam seller who has been operating at the Jalan 27 stalls in Kampung Selayang Baru for the past four years.
The three dilapidated stalls here, built by MPS about five years ago, were demolished to make way for new lots.
The tom yam seller Che Sudirman Che Daud, 35, said he was forced to vacate the premises that were demolished by MPS in December last year but was not allocated a unit among the new lots built by the council beginning this year.
“I signed a deal on July 20, 2010 with the previous stall owner, whom I paid RM2,500, to take over the unit,” said Che Sudirman.
He said that he sent a letter to MPS on April 8, 2013 to bid for one of the new units but had not received any reply from the council.
The other two operators at the site were given the replacement lots.
Che Sudirman said that he had lost his source of income and appealed to MPS to reconsider their decision.
Mohd Azizi said it was wrong for an individual to make a direct agreement with another stall operator, even if the latter was licensed.
“All transactions for council stalls must be done through MPS only and not with anyone else or via any third party.
“We do not recognise any agreement done without our knowledge.
“As such, the third lot at Jalan 27 was given to another trader who had applied to us,” he explained.
“We are very strict about council stalls being handed to a third party to operate, and completely forbid this.
“This is a lesson for other food operators in the Selayang constituency who have been given the contract to the MPS stalls, not to misuse it.
“Individuals thinking of taking over any stall are advised not to pay money directly to the licensed operator for such a transaction.
“If food stall operators want to rent a council stall, they should come to the MPS office and we will gladly register them for a spot and they will get one if any is available,” he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Community, Central Region, Events, Food, Family Community, MPS stalls given to individual are legitimate
Anifah Aman: Government will not 'rescue' child porn convict from British jail
Minister: Child porn convict 'sick', needs counselling
Dep IGP: Student in child porn case a free man after serving sentence
Rawang low-cost flats to have new JMB pro tem panels
Year Five pupil dies from suspected H1N1
No problem hanging out with George Clooney
Passion and food go hand in hand
Ancient tomb of Kelabit aristocrat restored
‘Ancestral Home of Tun Tan Siew Sin’ unveils family and Baba Nyonya history
Brain implant senses ‘intent’ to move robotic arm
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)