Home > News > Community
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 10:54:41 AM
by desiree tresa gasper
JOHOR BARU: About 20 factory owners along Jalan Susur 6 here are annoyed with a recent decision taken by the Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) to turn the road into a one way street.
Lian Joo Trading Co Sdn Bhd director Goh Yong Keong said that the move was dangerous as most of the factories in the area deal with heavy building materials.
“Currently the road is a two way street and this allows our lorries and tractors to back out of the factories easily and it is also safe as not many cars use the road.
“If the road is made a one way street, all the traffic from Jalan Tun Abdul Razak will have to go through the factory area and it could lead to accidents,” he said.
E.S. Eng Soon (Johor) Sdn Bhd director Jeck Lim also lamented the same issue.
“Now users are careful when driving along the stretch as they have to look out for oncoming vehicles.
“If the road is a made a one way street, they will tend to pick up speed when driving along the area and this is an accident waiting to happen,” he said.
Lin Hoo Brothers Sdn Bhd operation manager Martin Teo said other than safety, converting the road would not help with the traffic situation in the area.
“When we heard about what MBJB plans to do, we went to visit their office and was told that the move was to ease traffic but it does not make sense as forcing users to drive into the factory area will only slow them down.
“They have to wait for lorries to load and unload and even wait as they slowly enter or exit our premises,” he said adding that the council should take into consideration all the factors before implementing the change.
Meanwhile, Johor MCA complaints bureau chief Kua Song Tuck who called for the press conference on behalf of the factory owners said that he would make a formal complaint pertaining to the issue.
“I was informed that the council had approved of the one way flow last year and that it would be implemented soon,” he said adding that he hoped the council would take into consideration the issues raised before implementing the change.
Meanwhile, an official from MBJB said that the decision to make Susur 6 a one way street was approved in January this year.
”We have not received any official complaint pertaining to the change and urge those who disagree to come to us so that we can discuss the matter further,” he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Southern & Eastern Region, Family & Community, road, one way, street, johor
Females rule in family planning
Filial piety runs in the family
Association helps out families of fallen heroes
Three families prepare for a very special guest
Families finally receive land titles to their homes
Bumpy ride to the office
RM1.5mil boost for musical tour
Hypermarkets are not as dominant as many believe, say experts
Stadium gets green light
Reward for 35 years of service
Three-time champs gunning for fourth Under-17 title
New Zealand PM pushes flag change after election win
Florenzi booked for hugging grandmother as Roma win again
Amazon's new tablets offer something for everyone
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)