Home > News > Community
Wednesday March 26, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday March 26, 2014 MYT 10:11:57 AM
by wong pek mei AND farah fazanna
Final goodbye: Baizatul Athira Aminuddin, 9, from Ampang, putting a rose on the Wall of Hopeer ected at the KLIA viewing deck. – Photo by RAJA FAISAL HISHAN.
As THE nation comes to terms with the fate of the passengers and crew of MH370, several events in the Klang Valley have been cancelled or postponed as a mark of respect.
They include entertainment events that were organised in conjunction with the 2014 Petronas Formula 1 Malaysia Grand Prix, which starts on Friday.
Petronas said they have concluded with event organiser Live at Work Sdn Bhd and other fellow sponsors to cancel the Twin Towers Alive 2014 concert as a sign of respect to the families and next of kin of those on board the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines flight.
“Our deepest condolences to them. We will honour our obligation to ensure all related parties impacted by this cancellation be treated fairly,” said Petronas on its Facebook page.
The event was slated for March 28 and 29 with stars such as Christina Aguilera, Craig David, Lifehouse and Rain scheduled to perform.
The SapuraKencana Petroleum Malaysia Grand Prix Gala & Concert, which was scheduled for tomorrow night, has also been cancelled.
Gala organiser Live at Work Sdn Bhd chief communications officer Yusoff Iwasi said this was out of respect for the grieving families of the passengers and crew of MH370.
“I hope everyone will understand that the time is not right to celebrate,” he said.
Bernama reported that the 2014 Laureus World Sports Awards programmes will be scaled back following Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak’s announcement on Monday night that the plane had gone down in the southern Indian Ocean.
Laureus World Sports Academy chairman Edwin Moses said several events had been put on hold ahead of the ceremony today.
“Everyone in the Laureus World Sports Academy is distressed by this terrible tragedy. We feel particularly close to the Malaysian people at this time, which makes what has happened even more distressing.
“We feel the appropriate action at this time is to scale down some of our activities over the next two days,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Moses said they had dedicated the Laureus All Stars Unity Cup to the families and loved ones of those on MH370.
Several organisations have also notified the media of the cancellation and postponement of their events after the Monday night announcement.
Nestle Malaysia cancelled the Nestlé its campaign roadshow launch that was scheduled to be held today in Petaling Jaya.
“Nestlé Malaysia offers its deepest condolences to the families and friends of those involved in the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 incident,” the company said in a statement.
Watsons Malaysia has also postponed its Football Fever launch, which was supposed to be held yesterday in Kuala Lumpur.
“Please be informed that today’s Football PR Launch will be cancelled and postponed to next week. This is due to the latest development on MH370.
“We would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of those on board MH370,” its official statement said.
On Monday night, MRT Corp told
the media that the progress
briefing scheduled to be held
yesterday was postponed until further notice.
“Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd extends its deepest and sincere condolences to the families of the passengers and crew of flight MH370,” the company said.
On Monday, Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz announced in the Dewan Rakyat that all roadshows and activities overseas in conjunction with Visit Malaysia Year 2014 will be temporarily halted out of respect for the families of the passengers.
MH370, disappeared on March 8 after taking off from KL International Airport for Beijing at 12.41am. It was carrying 239 passengers and crew.
Tags / Keywords:
Central Region, Family Community, events cancelled, mh370, MAS flight, KL, Beijing, Missing flight, MH370, Malaysia Airlines
MH370 theft case: Ex-bank officer gets six years’ jail
MH370 theft case: Husband gets four years, three strokes, wife unwell
Court rejects couple’s retraction
Couple who stole from MH370 passengers’ accounts to be sentenced next week
MH370 search finds uncharted shipwreck
Have a 'whale' of a good time in Queensland
FIFA brothers scrambled to deposit cash hoard at U.S. banks, U.S. court documents show
Free ride to festivals on KL HoHo
Restful repose in a capsule
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)