Home > News > Community
Saturday September 14, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday September 14, 2013 MYT 9:31:54 AM
by elan perumal
RESIDENTS of the low-cost flats in Taman Permata, Dengkil who resorted to living in tents after their flats were declared unsafe, are not convinced that the Selangor government’s plans to repair the units is a good idea.
They say the condition of their flats is bad and repair works may not be the answer.
The affected residents have been living in tents put up at the carpark area of the flats since early June, after a sinkhole appeared and the Sepang Municipal Council (MPSp) declared the units unsafe for occupation.
The residents said their homes were beyond repair and that the RM500,000 allocated by the state was insufficient to rectify the structural damage on the buildings.
They said Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim’s announcement that residents could move back into their homes within a month after repairs were done, was welcome news but they feared the money would be wasted.
They had expressed preference to move to a temporary site for now since Khalid had said the state government had also identified 12ha of land, some 5km away from the
current flats, to build new houses for the residents.
“We are not keen on continuing to live in our flats after the sinkhole incident,” said K. Sinnamah, 61.
Besides cracks in the building, she said the overall condition of her unit was worrying.
She said her daughter had placed a “please do not touch” sticker on the wall for fear it may collapse if anyone touched it.
“I feel the units cannot be made safe to live in.
“The beam that holds the ceiling in place is slanted and I believe this damage is related to structural defects,” said S. Anjalai, 52.
She said cracks were appearing all over the premises.
Anjalai said she lived in the flat with her husband S. Gajenthran, three children and three grandchildren.
Gajendran, 56, said he had been falling sick since moving into the tents and wanted a proper home soon.
“We have been exposed to the weather and mosquitoes. I am still on sick leave,” said the labourer.
A StarMetro report on June 16 had highlighted the plight of the Taman Permata residents who have been living in tents since their flats were declared unsafe by the authorities about three months ago.
It was reported yesterday that the
state had allocated 12ha land to cater for the housing needs of the 400 families of Taman Permata.
However, the state said the Federal Government, which relocated the former estate workers of Prang Besar, Galloway, Sedgeley and Medengley to the flats, was responsible for building the houses for them.
Tags / Keywords:
Central Region, TAMAN PERMATA
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)