Home > News > Community
Friday June 21, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday June 21, 2013 MYT 12:30:32 PM
by yasmin ahmad kamil
ON BEHALF of the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple Dhevasthanam committee, its chairman Datuk R. Nadarajah highlighted the members’ displeasure over Selayang Municipal Council’s (MPS) order to stop work on a cable car project.
Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, he said MPS had issued a stop-work order on June 6, citing that several buildings within Batu Caves were built without permits.
The structures include toilets, a 140ft Lord Murugan statue as well as the temple’s 272-step staircase.
Nadarajah said this was unfair as plans for the cable car project were submitted and had been approved by the council earlier.
He said the project aimed to benefit the elderly, the disabled and children who may not be able to climb the 272 steps to get to the temple.
Following the stop-work order, the temple committee is concerned that it may not be able to complete the project in time for Thaipusam next year.
Nadarajah said they had also submitted the necessary documents for the buildings allegedly without permits, along with the fees to MPS.
He added that the committee did not have records of building plans or documents for the construction of the staircase originally built between the 1920s and 1930s, during the British reign.
He said other construction work surrounding Batu Caves was carried out by the Tourism Ministry and as such, the temple committee did not have any document.
The temple’s legal representative G. Rajasingam said the cable car project should be allowed to proceed.
The committee members said they were hoping for an amicable solution by June 30, failing which, they would resort to taking legal action.
Tags / Keywords:
Family Community, Community, News, Batu Caves Cable Car, Dato R. Nadarajah
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)