X Close

Community

Published: Wednesday April 17, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Friday April 26, 2013 MYT 12:05:15 AM

GE13: Winnable faces on FT list

Moving fast: Jayanthi’s supporter holding up a picture of her outside the Tun
Hussein Onn hall in PWTC.

Moving fast: Jayanthi’s supporter holding up a picture of her outside the Tun Hussein Onn hall in PWTC.

TWO incumbent MPs from the Federal Territory Umno were dropped from the Barisan Nasional’s list of candidates for the 13th general election (GE13), with 12 new faces introduced.

The two not selected to defend their seats are Setiawangsa MP Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique and Labuan MP Datuk Yusof Mahal.

They are being replaced by Datuk Ahmad Fauzi Zahari, 50, who is Setiwangsa Umno vice-chairman and Rozman Isli, 49, who is Labuan Umno division secretary.

Ahmad Fauzi said he was not a new face in the Setiawangsa constituency as he had been working there for many years, together with Zulhasnan.

“I will continue to work and I will seek guidance from Zulhasnan as he has been an excellent leader there,” he said.

Of the 10 remaining candidates, three are from Umno, four from MCA, two from Gerakan, and one from PPP.

This is the first time that PPP is contesting a seat in the Federal Territory.

Interestingly, this is also the first time that Indian candidates have been included in the FT Barisan list of candidates.

The candidates are Datuk A. Chandrakumanan, 51, who is the FT PPP chairman. He will be contesting for the Kepong seat.

The other candidate is Segambut BN chairman Jayanthi Devi Balaguru, 52, from Gerakan, who will be fielded in Segambut.

Both have pledged to work hard as a team to ensure victory for BN.

“It is a tough seat but we will work hard.

“Kepong is not a new area to me as I used to live here for 15 years.

“My only wish is that the people in Kepong will give us a chance and vote for BN, so that we can do more for them,” said Chandrakumanan.

“We have put aside our differences and work together to achieve victory,” Jayanthi said when asked about the internal conflict brewing in her constituency.

From Umno, Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin will contest in Lembah Pantai, while Datuk Mohd Shafei Abdullah, 55, will take on Wangsa Maju, and Datuk Johari Ghani will be fielded in Titiwangsa.

On the problem in the Wangsa Maju MCA division, Mohd Shafei said: “The problem is almost solved. I do not foresee any problem as I have the Chinese support.”

“I hope Datuk Yew Teong Look will join me on the campaign trail,” added Shafei.

Incumbent Putrajaya MP Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, 62, is the only “old guard” who will be defending the Putrajaya seat.

“I am thankful that the prime minister is giving me another chance to stand and defend Putrajaya.

“I am happy with the new line-up, as it shows that we are serious about transformation.

“I think we stand a good chance with the winnable candidates fielded by BN,” said Tengku Adnan.

BN Bukit Bintang parliamentary secretary Frankie Gan Joon Zin, 47, will be fielded in Bukit Bintang, while Bandar Tun Razak MCA Youth chief Tan Kok Eng, 33, will contest in Bandar Tun Razak.

In Seputeh, Barisan Nasional special officer Nicole Wong, 33, will be the candidate contesting in the DAP stronghold.

Wong, along with Tan Kok Eng, will be the two youngest parliamentary candidates fielded by FT BN.

In Wong’s case, she is busy campaigning to swing voters to her side in what is a traditional DAP stronghold. that she will be unveiling her manifesto right after Nomination Day.

Kok Eng, meanwhile, said he hoped to serve Bandar Tun Razak constituency as well as his father, Tan Chai Ho, did.

“I remember following my father when he went to visit the grassroots.

“I hope to learn from his experience,” he said.

The senior Tan said his son had always wanted to serve.

“For the past 10 years, Kok Eng has been the Bandar Tun Razak MCA Division youth chief. When he told me he wanted to contest, I gave him my blessing and supported him.”

“I hope he does better than me!,” said Tan.

Cheras MCA Public Speaking club head Steve Teoh Chee Hooi, 42, will take on Cheras while Gerakan’s youth secretary-general Dr Dominic Lau, 46, will contest in the Batu parliamentary seat.

The BN candidates for the 13 FT seats were announced by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin in PWTC yesterday.

Tags / Keywords: Community, News, Government, Politics, GE13, KL

advertisement

  1. Fire in 1 Utama food court causes morning crawl along LDP
  2. Estonian model, boyfriend brought to court in May
  3. ‘New OPR will have little impact’
  4. Patients get kidneys from Australian killed in boating accident
  5. Dengue vaccine trial shows promise
  6. PM visits homeless and promises help
  7. Top 10 Bung gaffes
  8. Bung's apology not sincere, say netizens
  9. Bung Mokhtar apologises to Germans for 'Hitler' tweet
  10. Estonian model found dead

advertisement

advertisement