X Close

Community

Published: Saturday February 2, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Saturday April 20, 2013 MYT 3:42:33 PM

RM330.6m for 16 projects in Penang

GEORGE TOWN: The Federal Government has approved 16 pro-jects here this year with an allocation of RM330.6mil, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yakcop said.

He said among the projects approved were a RM220mil road upgrading project, which mostly involves expanding a 4.9km stretch along the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway (Bayan Lepas Coastal Highway), flood mitigation project in Tasek Gelugor, rebuilding of a traders centre in Jalan Tenggiri in Seberang Jaya and others.

“The road upgrading project will start this month and is expected to be completed by January 2015.

“The Federal Government has given the allocation for all these projects, but as usual the state government will claim credit,” he told a press conference after chairing a Federal action council meeting at Menara Boustead yesterday.

He cited the new Syariah Court complex in Jalan Batu Gantong, saying that the Federal Govern- ment had borne the cost of RM36mil for the complex but the state government claimed credit for it.

Penang Umno secretary Datuk Azhar Ibrahim, who was also present, said if the Federal Government had not provided the allocation for the court complex, the land would have probably been sold by the Penang government.

“It would have been just like the Taman Manggis and Bayan Mutiara case.

“A mosque was supposed to have been built on the Bayan Mutiara land but the state had sold it,” claimed Azhar, who is also the state Opposition leader.

At the press conference, Nor Mohamed also said the number of recipients for the Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia 2.0 in Penang had increased from 245,000 recipients last year to about 416,000 recipients this year.

“The amount allocated has also increased from RM122.4mil last year to RM183.6mil this year,” Nor Mohamed added.

Also present were state Barisan Nasional secretary Datuk Seri Dr Hilmi Yahaya, Seberang Jaya assemblyman Datuk Arif Shah Omar Shah and Pulau Betong assemblyman Muhammad Farid Saad.

Tags / Keywords: Community, News, Politics, Government, tan sri nor mohamed yakcop, br1m 2.0, federal action council meeting

advertisement

  1. Mabul attack: Massive hunt for gunmen after cop killed, another feared kidnapped during shootout
  2. Shootout in Mabul island
  3. Penang moves to stop foreigners as 'main cooks'
  4. Moviegoers jump off ledge to escape fire
  5. Ahmad Zahid: Don't belittle police's crime-fighting efforts
  6. Five suffer injuries in Sandakan cinema fire
  7. Penang to ban foreign cooks in hawker stalls
  8. Man accidentally shoots self in the head during hunting trip
  9. FB page set up in memory of model
  10. Mah: Nurse pulled plug to save another patient's life

advertisement

advertisement