Home > News > Community
Friday January 4, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday April 22, 2013 MYT 4:37:23 PM
by jastin ahmad tarmizi
RESIDENTS of Taman Sri Sinar in Segambut are worried about a recent landslip that was caused by illegal dumping in a nearby Muslim cemetery that is located across a drain from their homes.
The landslip debris has been left uncleared for almost a week and is clogging the drain.
The residents claim nothing has been done despite numerous complaints to the authorities, including Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).
They also claim the illegal dumping has been going on for more than three years.
Resident Tan Chong Shing, 40, said the landslip occurred at about 6pm on Dec 27 after a downpour.
“The culprits have been dumping here for more than three years. Previously, they would dump rubbish almost every day in broad daylight.
“After some of the residents lodged reports, they would only enter the cemetery at about 3am to dump their rubbish,” he said.
Tan said the landslip was probably caused by the illegal dumping as the cemetery ground had risen up by several metres due to the dumping.
“The ground level of the cemetery used to be the same as the houses and the same level as the drain here.
“But after years of dumping, the ground level has risen by several metres and there is a slope now which caused the landslip to happen,” he added.
Tan added that when the landslip occurred, debris had clogged the drain and was left uncleared for a week.
“We called the authorities but they only removed a tree that fell during the landslip.
“The tree fell on the power lines and was removed by Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) on the same day as it was causing electricity disruptions to a few houses in the area.
“Now, whenever there is a downpour, water from the drain overflows,” he added.
Another resident, P. Maneme-khalei, 31, also voiced her concern over the slow action taken by the authorities.
“When the landslip occurred, I called the authorities. They told me to wait for two-and-a-half hours. They finally got here after almost three hours but they only removed the tree and did nothing else,” she said, adding that the residents were also upset that the authorities were taking the matter lightly, saying the landslip was “minor”.
“After the first slip last week, there has been more soil movement on the slope. We were lucky that the first slip did not affect our homes. We do not know what would happen if another slip occurs,” she added.
Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng said since the first slip last Thursday, the relevant agencies had sent different officials to look into the matter.
“They should not take the matter lightly. All of them are saying it is not their responsibility. Now, we have asked DBKL to clear the debris,” he said.
“I will also ask DBKL to pursue legal action against those who have been illegally dumping rubbish in the cemetery,” he added.
Tags / Keywords:
Community, News, Family Community, Government, Landslip, Segambut, Lim Lip Eng, DBKL
Najib: Dr M's criticism 'unfair or misleading'
Women and youth key players
Much room for improvement
Asean input vital for disaster management
Sarawak to absorb GST for local government services
Still standing 100 years later
It’s a balancing act at Ipoh International Waiter’s Race
MATTA launches GST navigator
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)