Home > Lifestyle > Food > News
Tuesday February 25, 2014 MYT 11:25:00 AM
Tuesday February 25, 2014 MYT 11:58:43 AM
Nahm's minced prawn and cucumber salad with green mango.
But top spot in Asia’s 50 Best goes to Bangkok-based Nahm.
CHINA has emerged the overall country leader on a ranking of the best restaurants across Asia, with 16 dining destinations snagging a spot on the top 50 list, followed by Japan and Singapore.
Taking the coveted top spot on Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list, meanwhile, is Nahm, a restaurant in Bangkok helmed by an Australian-born chef described as a scholar of Thai cuisine.
Lauded for reviving centuries-old Thai recipes with a contemporary and sophisticated flair, chef David Thompson doesn’t shy away from the punchy, bold flavours that characterise Thai cuisine – garlic, shrimp paste, chillies and lemongrass – but rather distils the flavours into elegant and memorable curries, salads, soups and relishes.
The list is compiled by a group of 900 international leaders in the restaurant industry, that includes food critics, chefs and restaurateurs.
After China, Japan scored 10 addresses on the list, and Singapore eight.
Here are the top 25 restaurants in Asia:
1. Nahm, Bangkok, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Thailand
2. Narisawa, Tokyo, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Japan
3. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand
4. Amber, Hong Kong, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in China
5. Nihonryori Ryugin, Tokyo, Japan
6. Restaurant Andre, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Singapore and Chefs’ Choice Award
7. Waku Ghin, Singapore
8. Ultraviolet, Shanghai, China
9. Lung King Heen, Hong Kong, China
10. 8 1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong, China
11.Mr And Mrs Bund, Shanghai, China
12. Iggy’s, Singapore
13. Caprice, Hong Kong, China
14. Les Amis, Singapore
15. Bo Innovation, Hong Kong, China
16. Ishikawa, Tokyo, Japan
17. Jaan, Singapore
18. L’atelier De Joel Robuchon Hong Kong, China
19. Fook Lam Moon, Hong Kong, China, Highest Climber - up 29 places
20. Jungsik, Seoul, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Korea and Highest New Entry
21. Sra Bua By Kiin Kiin, Bangkok, Thailand
22. Quintessence, Tokyo, Japan
23. Tippling Club, Singapore (new entry)
24. Le Mout Restaurant, Taichung, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Taiwan
25. L’effervescence, Tokyo, Japan (new entry)
Other notable winners
Chefs’ Choice Award: Chef Andre Chiang, of Restaurant Andre, Singapore; also The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Singapore
One To Watch, Tenku RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan
Highest Climber Award, Fook Lam Moon, Hong Kong
Asia’s Best Pastry Chef, Janice Wong, Singapore
Highest New Entry Award, Jungsik, Seoul, South Korea
The Diners Club Lifetime Achievement Award, Ivan Li of Family Li Imperial Cuisine in Shanghai
Asia’s Best Female Chef, Lanshu Chen of Le Mout, Taiwan
Amber, Hong Kong, The S. Pellegrino Best Restaurant in China
Narisawa, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Japan
Bukhara, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in India
Nihonbashi in Colombo (No. 44) the title of The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka and Sarong in Bali as The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Indonesia
Nihonbashi in Colombo, S. Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka
Sarong in Bali as The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Indonesia
The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Taiwan, Le Mout
For the full list, visit www.theworlds50best.com/asia/en. – AFP Relaxnews
Nahm named best restaurant in Asia
Tags / Keywords:
Lifestyle, Nahm restaurant, Asia s 50 Best Restaurants, David Thompson
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants: Why the same old list?
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants awards set for March 9
Nahm named best restaurant in Asia
Mexico’s rich, fiery flavours come to life for diners in the capital
Dress up for the season
Keeping track of pregnancy
Fancy a croc and fish sperm lunch?
Former finance minister advises artists to highlight current issues
Eight experiences you can’t miss when in Australia
Chicago calm a day after release of video of police shooting teenager
Bercham - former tin mining centre turned booming township
Pandora listeners say hello to Adele's "25"
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)